Tuesday, October 5, 2010

It's Really Me!

Hi friends, furry and not-so-furry!  I'm happy to be back to my blog, and also to be back to reading YOUR blogs (which I'll be doing next)!  If you read my human mom's post last week (I let her be a guest-blogger in my absence), you know where I've been.  But just to re-cap, and to tell it from MY perspective ...




I guess most of you cats, and cat-parents, know already that some indoor kitties are prone to dental problems.  I am one of these, unfortunately.  I already had to have my teeth cleaned by the V-E-T a couple years ago... and then last week, I had to go THERE again, this time to get them cleaned and to get a few of 'em pulled out too!  What can I tell you?  I sure do hate to ride in the car; I complain vocally to my humans the WHOLE way there and back usually, just in case it might change their minds!  This time I was too sleepy from the medicines to complain on the way home.  In fact, I was sleepy for 2 or 3 days!  Thanks to everyone who sent comments or emails to my mom!  I think that maybe... just maybe... she needed them even more than I did!  I was okay... just mad that I had to go there, and tired, and my gums hurt where my teeth used to be... So I went under the bed and did NOT come out again for those few days!  Only to visit my litter box!


But now I am playing more, and not in pain.  It's actually better than when I had my infected teeth and irritated gums, because now I can crunch up my food.  And now I don't have that stuff going on making me feel tired and less playful!  In fact, I think I should already be eating my favorite Temptations treats (crunchy outside with soft, flavorful insides!) and my dry food!  But Mom says that for a few more days I have to take my medicine and also eat my regular food which is mushed-up with warm water.  ICK.  I think that I can do it, but only for a FEW days more!  


I hope that everyone out there has had a good week.  If any of you blogging cats or cat owners out there have ever gone through dental problems, my mom would love to hear your stories.  Me too!  I am her first pet cat, and she is the only human that I remember or have ever really known, or ever CHOSEN for myself (that part is most important!).  So we are learning about each other as we go, and I know that my mom worried about me when I was under the bed for those few days and didn't want to come out.  She didn't want to miss any signs that I wasn't reacting normally, or that I was feeling very badly.  She checked on me under there all the time!  And even though I tried to press my claws into the carpet so that no one would get me out, she pulled me outta there when it was time for medication, and when she wanted to look at my eyes and feel my cold, wet nose!  I might complain, but I do love my mom :)  And nothing makes you appreciate your humans and your own place that you live (where you have carefully marked everything with your scent!) like a day at the V-E-T place!  


***PURRRRRS*** Just-Like-New Dorian

5 comments:

Kea said...

We're glad to see you back and to know that your mouth is healing! Make sure you get LOTS of extra treats for that ordeal!

Now our mom has some stuff she wants to write....

All three of mine have had multiple extractions:

Nicki last November, at 3 years of age, had 8 teeth removed.

Derry, at almost 3 yrs this past June, had 9 extractions.

Annie, at age 9.5 last winter, had 3 teeth removed.

All of them had the 2-week antibiotic injection (Convenia, which is dangerous and I likely wouldn't allow again, but didn't know better at the time--it also is not intended for dental).

None of them had pain meds, other than the injection at the vet's, post-surgery.

None could eat kibble for a week, which was hard for the boys, Derry especially. Annie eats almost 100% canned, so it was no hardship for her. Derry refused the softened kibble several times, so I finally gave up and just fed him canned for the week. It's better for him anyway, for them all (because of the high water content).

I could see that they were a bit uncomfortable once the pain meds wore off, especially Nicki as I recall, but cats' mouths heal quickly--they have to. So Nicki's vet (the clinic owner) told me last fall.

Once their mouths healed, the boys went back to eating kibble. Though for several days with Derry, I was cutting his kibble into even smaller pieces--he has no teeth on the bottom except for the fangs, so no way to chew. He swallows his kibble whole without problem. And sometimes barfs it right back up because he eats it too quickly.

I expect both boys will lose all their teeth within a few years; they both seem to have awful problems with gum disease. When that happens, I don't know if they'll be able to swallow kibble at all. Nicki would adjust to a 100% canned diet without too much problem, but Derry will have a harder time of it, being a kibblehead. LOL.

So, knock on wood and thank Goddess Bast, they've not had any problems post-surgery.

We'll all send purrs to Dorian for continued good health--and no more extractions!

P.S. None of the cats hid once they were home, but I didn't have to medicate them, either. LOL.

Kea said...

Well, crud! LONG reply, and Blogger gave me grief, wouldn't post it. Grrrr!

Great news that Dorian is healing well!

All of mine have had multiple extractions--Nicki 8 out last fall, Derry 9 out this past June, and Annie 3 out in February.

No problems post-surgery, knock on wood and thank Goddess Bast.

Convenia antibiotic injection for all 3, lasts 2 weeks. At the time I didn't know Convenia has caused problems for some cats (anemia and death). Convenia is not meant for dental, either.

I didn't have to give them pain meds, other than the injection post-surgery, they didn't get them. They were uncomfortable for a few days, especially the boys, but healed quickly.

Kea said...

To continue...

Derry lost all his bottom teeth, except for his fangs, so while he "eats" kibble now, he actually only swallows it whole. He's the kibblehead, will have a real problem eating 100% canned when he has no more teeth at all. In fact, he's missing 2 or 3 upper molars too, so there's not much left, poor baby.

Both boys, especially Nicki, had awful gum disease. Nicki had 2 deep pockets and went back for a second 2-week antibiotic shot.

Kea said...

Continued, because I don't trust Blogger....

At some point the boys will lose all their teeth, I'm sure, and then I'm not sure they'll be able to eat any kibble at all. That'll be okay for Nicki (he'll adjust), but Derry...well, that's another matter.

Anyway, none of the cats hid when they got home, but I didn't have to medicate them, either! :-)

So we're all sending purrs and healing Light to Dorian for a speedy recovery and continued good health! No more dental surgery, please.

Tatyanna (and Dorian too) said...

Mom says thank you for the info!! I am a Kibblehead!! I never knew what to call myself before, but that is 100% ME! :) We also sent an email to you; hope you got it! I will try to brush my teeth if it means no more v-e-t for a long time... but only once I have my crunchy treats and kibble back. Mom says it's a deal!