Wednesday, April 14, 2010

You Can Call Me "Weegie"

That is what my mom has been affectionately calling me this week.  She has discovered some of my heritage after doing a lot of research and talking to other humans who live with cats.  It is an abbreviation of the word Norwegian; we have learned that I am probably half Norwegian Forest Cat, and this breed is frequently called a "weegie."  I think I like it!  .. Here is a picture of me (on the left) and a true "weegie" (right).  Wow!  There is a family resemblance, huh?
   


Norwegian Forest Cats have thick, waterproof coats of fur with two layers:  a longer, more coarse top layer, and a very fine, soft under-coat.  We have long tufts of fur between our toes and in our ears.  Finally, I know more about my family!  


No one has been able to verify it for sure, but they say that in the old days, Weegies would accompany sailors on their ships, even the Vikings!  I wouldn't mind helping out on a ship, hunting and bringing good luck and predicting the weather (all the jobs my ancestors did with the sailors); but I do NOT like water!!  My mom says I used to climb on the toilet and try to drink out of it, but then I fell in a few times and didn't like that at all!    Hmmm ... I can't imagine I would do this, even as a young kitten.  Water is gross!  It mats a cat's fur and is cold and ... just freaky!  I hope no cats had to swim back then!  None of my cat friends enjoy being in the bath tub or going in the lake with their dog friends.   I don't like to ride in the car either, but I bet a boat would be more fun!  Spending my days lounging on the deck in the warm sunlight and my nights chasing all those scurrying mice and rats!  And all the humans paying very close attention to me, because my job was so important!  I am happy thinking of my great-great-great-grandparents doing these things!


The book Mom read showed pictures of little baby Weegies.  She was squealing about how cute they looked, and she said that she wished she could have seen me when I was a baby cat.  Unfortunately, we don't have any pictures of me then, but I think I was the same, only smaller.  Then Mom came to take me to my home when I was almost a year old, but that's another story!


Some people think Weegies are also maybe ancestors of the Maine Coon breed.  The vet told Mom maybe I am part Maine Coon.  It's a mystery, I guess!  One thing is for sure; I am big and strong with a very long-haired, fluffy coat and big paws that Mom calls my Tiger Paws.  Well, speaking of my mom, I just heard her say "Here are some late-night snacks for my tiger-paw-weegie-cat!"  So I better go!  

2 comments:

dArtagnan Rumblepurr/Diego Hamlet Moonfur said...

You do totally look like a Forrest cat! I'm a Maine Coon, and you and me can rumble together and cause chaos!!

*RUMBLEPURR*

The Whiskeratti said...

Hmm... we think you do look like a very cute Weegie.